Associate Professor of Biology
413 East 69th Street
New York, NY 10021
Mail Box 180
- MBBS., 2000, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- M.S., 2004, University of Hull, United Kingdom
- Ph.D., 2007, University of East Anglia, United Kingdom
- Post doc., 2007-2014, University of East Anglia/Virginia Commonwealth University/University of Florida
- Cancer Biology
The overall goal of our laboratory is to elucidate the mechanisms of metastasis in solid cancers. Ongoing studies include examination of the role of circulating tumor cell biology and epigenetics in the metastasis of solid cancers. Also, our laboratory is investigating the biological mechanisms underlying the racial disparities in specific solid cancers. The cancer models we are currently focused on are hepatocellular carcinoma, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Ilboudo A, Chouhan J, McNeil BK, Osborne JR, Ogunwobi OO. PVT1 exon 9: a potential biomarker of aggressive prostate cancer? Int. J. Environ Res Public Health, 2015, in press.
- Das DK, Durojaiye V, Ilboudo A, Naidoo MK, Ogunwobi OO. A "patient-like" orthotopic syngeneic mouse model of hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis. J Vis Exp, 2015; (104), e52858, doi:10.3791/52858.
- Das DK, Naidoo MK, Ilboudo A, DuBois P, Durojaiye V, Liu C, Ogunwobi OO. Isolation and propagation of circulating tumor cells from a mouse cancer model. J Vis Exp, 2015; (104), e52861, doi: 10.3791/52861
- George TJ, Ogunwobi OO, Sheng W, Fan ZH, Liu C. “Tissue is the issue”: circulating tumor cells in pancreatic cancer. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, 2014, DOI: 10.1007/s12029-014-9638-3.
- Sheng W, Ogunwobi OO, Chen T, Zhang J, George TJ, Liu C, Fan ZH. Capture, release and culture of circulating tumor cells from pancreatic cancer patients using an enhanced mixing chip. Lab Chip. 2014;14(1):89-98.
- Beales IL, Garcia-Morales C, Ogunwobi OO, Mutungi G. Adiponectin inhibits leptin-induced oncogenic signaling in oesophageal cancer cells by activation of PTP1B. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 2014, 382 (1): 150-158.
- Ogunwobi OO, Puszyk W, Dong H, Liu C. Epigenetic upregulation of c-Met and HGF drives metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One, 2013, 8(5):e63765.
- Zhao X, Tian C, Puszyk W, Ogunwobi OO, Cao M, Wang T, Cabrera R, Nelson D, Liu C. OPA1 down-regulation is involved in sorafenib-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Laboratory Investigation, 2013, 93(1):8-19.
- Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Therapeutic and prognostic importance of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in liver cancers: Insights from experimental models. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 2012, 83(3):319-28.
- Ogunwobi OO, Wang T, Zhang L, Liu C. COX-2 and Akt mediate multiple growth factor-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in human hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2012, 27 (3): 566-578 (Editorial on pages 418-420).
- Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Hepatocyte growth factor upregulation promotes carcinogenesis and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in hepatocellular carcinoma via Akt and COX-2 pathways. Clin Exp Metastasis, 2011, 28 (8): 721-31.
- Zhao X, Ogunwobi OO, Liu C. Survivin inhibition is critical for bcl-2 inhibitor-induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. PLoS One, 2011, 6 (8): e21980.
- Sirica AE, Dumur CI, Campbell DJ, Almenara JA, Ogunwobi OO, Dewitt JL. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma progression: prognostic factors and basic mechanisms. Clin Gastroenterol and Hepatol, 2009, 7 (11 Suppl): S68-78.
- Beales ILP, Ogunwobi OO. Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 inhibition blocks proliferation and enhances apoptosis in esophageal adenocarcinoma cells without affecting endothelial prostacyclin production. Int J Cancer, 2010, 126 (9) 2247-55.
- Beales I, Ogunwobi O. Glycine-extended gastrin inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal and oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells through JAK2/STAT3 activation. J Mol Endocrinol, 2009, 42 (4): 305-18.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Statins inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells. Am J Gastroenterol, 2008, 103 (4): 825-837 (Editorial on pages 838-41).
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Glycine-extended gastrin stimulates proliferation via JAK2- and Akt-dependent NF-B activation in Barrett's oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 2008, 296 (1-2): 94-102.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Leptin stimulates proliferation of oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells via upregulation of epidermal growth factor receptor ligands. Br J Biomed Sci, 2008, 65 (3): 121-7.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Globular adiponectin, acting via adiponectin receptor-1, inhibits leptin-stimulated oesophageal adenocarcinoma cell proliferation. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 2008, 285 (1-2): 43-50.
- Ogunwobi O, Mutungi G, Beales ILP. Leptin stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells by COX-2 dependent, PGE2 mediated transactivation of the EGF receptor and JNK activation. Endocrinology, 2006, 147(9): 4505-4516.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. The anti-apoptotic and growth stimulatory actions of leptin in human colon cancer cells involves activation of JNK mitogen activated protein kinase, JAK2 and PI3-kinase/Akt. Int J Colorectal Dis, 2007, 22 (4): 401–409.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Cyclo-oxygenase-independent inhibition of apoptosis and stimulation of proliferation by leptin in human colon cancer cells. Dig Dis Sci, 2007 52 (8): 1934-1945.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Leptin synergistically enhances the anti-apoptotic and growth-promoting effects of acid in OE33 oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells in culture. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 2007, 274 (1-2): 60-68.
- Beales ILP, Ogunwobi OO, Cameron E, El-Amin K, Mutungi G and Wilkinson M. Activation of Akt is increased in the dysplasia-carcinoma sequence in Barrett's oesophagus and contributes to increased proliferation and inhibition of apoptosis: a functional and immunohistochemical study. BMC Cancer, 2007, 7: 97.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. The role of adiponectin in colitis. Gastroenterology, 2007, 132 (3): 1199-1200.
- Beales ILP, Ogunwobi O. Glycine-extended gastrin inhibits apoptosis in colon cancer cells via separate activation of Akt and JNK pathways. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 2006, 247 (1-2): 140-149.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Adiponectin stimulates proliferation and cytokine secretion in colonic epithelial cells. Regul Pept 2006 134 (2-3): 105-113.
- Ogunwobi OO, Beales ILP. Glycine-extended gastrin stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in colon cancer cells via cyclo-oxygenase independent pathways. Regul Pept, 2006, 134 (1): 1-8.
- Beales ILP, Ogunwobi O. Adipokines and gastrointestinal disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 2006, 24: 1127.